The Kentucky Automobile Insurance Plan (KAIP) was created in 1948 to provide basic automobile insurance coverage to eligible risks who seek and are unable to obtain coverage through the voluntary market. Eligible KAIP risks are shared among companies writing automobile insurance in the state of Kentucky.
- KAIP is not a competitive market – applicant must be unable to secure coverage in the voluntary market.
- If you are an applicant, you must contact an insurance agent (producer) to represent you with the plan.
- Premium quotes are developed by the producer.
- Coverage is placed and serviced through a servicing carrier.
- No physical damage coverage is provided.
- All KY licensed producers are eligible to submit applications.
- The producer does not have binding authority.